Friday, July 6, 2007

The Pioneers

To come of Quaker stock and have the blood of pioneers coursing in our veins is no small honor. It is good to know that our family tree is sound at the roots. Of course the leaves of that tree can not hide our nakedness if we dishonor the ancestral name and fame; each stands or falls on merit of its own. But the family tree affords pleasanter shade to sit under if its timber is well-rooted, sound at the core, and reasonably free from rotten fruits. Such shelter we can claim; and it is a priceless heritage.

[my first thoughts upon reading this passage was that Sherman Kirkbride, the author, was well educated, the language in this text is lavish, almost mythical, he was the perfect historian and a brilliant writer]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After my grandmother passed away, I found a little brown booklet about the Kirkbride family history.I have traced my roots back to David Kirkbride as well as it lists his decendents. The book was published I believed sometime in the 1930's because my uncle (Don Davis) is listed as a decendent but not my aunt who was born in the 1940's. The book I have has a story about some quaker sisters meeting President Lincoln, and that a note of theirs was found on his body when he died. Whether or not its true, I am not sure. Then there is a story about the Kirkbride's working on the Penn estate, that they made some cradle that's in a building near Independence Hall, does any of this sound familiar? Anyways, my Aunt is borrowing it right now but I can email you some of the infomation if any of this is helpful. However if your husband comes from a kin of David's it might not be as interesting.

Sincerely,

Melanie Davis

Diana said...

Melanie,

My mother's maiden name is Kirkbride and we have traced our branch to Joseph. If I remember correctly, Joseph and his wife worked for Wm. Penn and when Joseph's wife had a baby, they were loaned a Penn cradle. I have no idea who built it, owned it, or even if I have the story straight, but the Penn/cradle story was told in our family too. We live in Oregon.

Dianna